CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Football thoughts of the week

Okay, okay, I have to say something. Now, this only applies to this weeks situation, so I reserve the right to change my opinion about this later. But for now, here goes. THIS...is my problem with non-BCS teams.

Boise state....where do I begin. Boise state does not belong in the top 5. They only made it there because other teams lost. So what, if the top 4 teams lose in the next two weeks, should Boise State be #1????? Let's say Florida loses to Georgia this year. (everyone else staying the same just for this scenario). That would probably knock Florida down to around 8-10. The problem is, Boise state doesn't play anyone as good as Georgia this year. How would it be fair to put them above Florida, who IS playing much harder teams than even Georgia this year? (Yes yes, I know some might argue that Oregon could be considered good, or that Georgia isn't that good, but that's beside the point).

I suppose this rant is just the same as it is every year. If you don't play anyone good, week after week, then you shouldn't move up in the rankings so much. Because now there could be problems. Alabama has a string of difficult games ahead of them....including a potential run in with Florida in the SEC Championship again. Boise State does not. See what I mean? How good is it to go undefeated if you don't play anyone tough?

Lastly, here is something you never see on my blog: Kudos to BYU this season. I don't know their reasonings for scheduling the games they did this year, but at least they scheduled some difficult non-conference games to make up for the rest of the games in their notoriously weak conference. (Again, it's up for discussion as to how good Oklahoma, Tulane, and Fl. State are). But still, that's exactly what the non BCS schools should be doing. THAT....would earn respect from all the other schools. When the hardest team left on your schedule is Hawaii (cough cough Boise state), then you won't get any credit from me.

2 comments:

Musings From a Morning Owl said...

It takes two to schedule. As a Boise State fan, I'd like to see our team challenged a great deal more than it is. And you know what? So would our team. As I understand it, efforts are being made to "up" the schedule but getting "big" teams to play BSU isn't easy. No one wants another Fiesta Bowl, so the skating is going to be tough on this team for a long time, I fear. You're right: BSU's schedule is a joke. We all wish it were tougher. In the meantime, we'll only discover how they are, really, but seeing what happens when big teams are forced to play them in solid bowl games. Go Big Blue!

Juji said...

Psycho alert....